14 November 2008

Kenter in front of the school 11/14

This is the driver of the hummer. She asked why I took her picture. I said it was because she parked illegally and because she drives a hummer. She said she had to bring her son's shoes because he forgot them this morning (who sends their kid to school without shoes?) I pointed out that the rest of us had all chosen to park legally, instead of in the red zone. This got me an impassioned lecture on freedom in this country and an exhortation to work harder so I had more money and didn't have to drive a car that was shit. I tried to talk to her but then she did that thing my five-year old does where he puts his fingers in his ears and says, "I can't hear you I can't hear you." So I know that she knows it's wrong.


She seemed to think that I was envious of her wealth. I'm not. What I am envious of is her blithe indifference to the environmental ills that her expression of wealth are doing to us all.


I'm afraid I harshed her mellow.

No comments: